The tradition of wine making on the Sherborne Castle Estates started in the Middle Ages when Bishop Roger, who built the Old Castle planted a vineyard on the northern side of the lake. By 1146 this was sufficiently mature to be mentioned in the bull of Eugenius II.
In 1982, the tradition was revived on the estate by John Wingfield Digby at Wake Court in Bishops Caundle. The vineyard has three hectares of vines on a south facing slope with soil types of limestone loam over clay. The vines are planted on a wide high wire system known as Geneva Double Curtain that gives a smaller number of vines per hectare. This gives a better exposure to the light which is very important to fruiting.